Saturday, November 6, 2010

Reflections on the Breeders Cup

Well, some of you may be wondering why I only previewed two races. Well, it was all part of my master plan to look like genius. I picked the two races in which I was sure that not only would the favorite be knocked off, but also who exactly would knock the favorite off.

Well, of course, I was wrong.

Lets start off with the juvenile. I was brimming with confidence as Jaycito entered that starting gate because I knew that he was a deceptively fast horse who would love the mile and one-sixteenth distance. What I did not know was that Jaycito would unlearn everything that he had learned in terms of schooling and preparation, and drift wide after clipping heels with another horse; I did not see that one coming. I also didn't know that Uncle Mo could easily get the distance and provide the most impressive Juvenile performance in a long time. I'm young, but I'm from the old-school. I cannot show respect at the betting windows to a horse named Uncle Mo- I just can't do it. By the way, I make it a point to play John at least four times a day, so it's pretty funny- even to me- that he wins on the rare occasion that I choose to back someone else.

Oh well, onto the mile.

I was pretty happy I got this wrong. You see, here's the thing, as a young fan there just aren't too many times you get to witness thoroughbred racing history. So when Goldikova looked Sidney's Candy in the eye and said "this is not the La Jolla, and I'm certainly not Kid Edward", I had to respect that. Good job Goldi!

Of course, what recap would this be if I didn't talk briefly about the fight and Zenyatta.

As a man, when someone does you wrong you walk away 95 percent of the time. For Calvin this must've been the five percent. In Calvin's defense, he seems like a very nice man, so he must've been really disturbed by what happened. Personally, I don't blame him. Castellano put Borel's life in danger and cost him the race. Calvin had the right to be upset. Hopefully these two can kiss and make up. Personally, I don't really care as I waste most of my money on John, therefore the mental and physical condition of these two guys doesn't really affect me much.

Now for Zenyatta: I think this race did more for her reputation than any other race she has ever ran before. She got squeezed at the break, then she had trouble gripping the track for the first quarter of a mile, so it's logical to assume that she spotted the field an extra six or seven lengths in addition to the ten or so she usually spots them. Mike Smith did a great job riding, but so did Garrett Gomez. Garrett hugged the inner part of the track while managing to avoid the rail, which happened to be dead. Then there is age. Zenyatta is six. Blame is four. This is the best Blame will ever be. Zenyatta, though she was fit, has obviously been fitter than this. Then there is the surface. C'mon. Zenyatta is running on traditional dirt- something she hates. Blame is running over his favorite track. I'm so impressed it was a nose that separated these two instead of five lengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment