Saturday, July 24, 2010

Opening Day at the Spa

If there is one thing I've learned it's that I have a talent for picking horses. No dear reader, I cannot make you wealthy because my talent lies in figuring out which horse will finish first at the quarter-pole.

I arrived at the "graveyard of favorites" around 1:10- so I missed the first race. I put 20 to win on the Johnny Velazquez horse in the second race and keyed him over some of the other horses. Now here is the thing with John- John can telepathically sense when I have wagered money on him and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

The man was sitting in second through some really soft fractions. He then made a bid for the lead at the three-eights pole, got it, then relinquished said lead with 100 yards to go in the race. Needless to say, betting-wise, I knew that it was going to be a long day.

I wasn't too successful at handicapping, but it didn't really matter. Saratoga is the epitome of classiness and charm. To say that the place lives up to the hype is an understatement. My friends skipped out on me so I used the occasion to get some brownie points from my parents by taking them; and my mom basically summed it up when she said "this really feels like a racetrack."

Between the trumpet players, friendly staff and even friendlier crowd, you don't really mind that you're losing money. It also doesn't hurt that they bring the horses through the crowd. You could go all day at your typical track and never see an actual horse.

I can't wait to visit Saratoga again for it's an incredible example of all that is good about thoroughbred racing. I really wish my friends had decided to come with me because this place can turn even the biggest haters of thoroughbred racing into the cheering faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment